Sunday, July 9, 2017

Hiker Shindig April, 28th

I was the last to leave camp again. It's hard getting going in the morning when you get into camp late. It turned out to be a brutally hot day  so I'm glad that it was only an 11 mile day. I got great views of Erwin and the Nolichucky River on the way down the mountain.



I checked into Uncle Johnny's Nolichucky Hostel which was right there when I got off the trail. I had heard about the hiker shindig that they were putting on this weekend from fliers quite aways back. I was concerned about being able to get a bunk. I got one of the last 2 available. Finally a hiker event thatI arrived on time for.

They run a daily shuttle across town to the Walmart. I came along with to get some snacks. I didn't really need much. I ended up coming away with quite a loot including an unfrosted angel food cake. I tried very hard not to eat it on the way back but I ate about 2/3rds of the cake in the 10min drive back. I was trying to save my appetite for the shrimp cook off happening when we get back. That shrimp was so delicious. It was accompanied by corn and potatoes all cooked and seasoned together. I got a can of lemonade ice tea to top it off. It was a great time.

Tonight in Erwin I'm at mile 342.7 with 1847.1 left to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment