Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Flash Flood, June 16th

My mom and I are doing trail magic again today. We made lunch meat sandwiches with a ton of meat in them, doughnuts, chips, oranges, beer, Gatorade, OJ, and cherries.

A section I hiked with Blue in the morning 

My mom hiked a small section with me during the day and got a ride back with a guy named Tim who was also doing trail magic for his son. She set up trail magic farther up the trail and I ran into Duck, Scout, and Sun. I hiked the rest of the day with them slack packing via my mom until a thunder storm came around and dumped a flash flood on us. Our phones were buzzing with the sounds of emergency alerts over the flood. The trails were much more like rivers. We just got absolutely soaked. Blue was pulling so hard and we were hiking downhill. I slipped a few times from that. I ended up having to hold his leash tight and next to me to prevent him from pulling me down. He really didn't enjoy hiking in a thunder storm with us.

We all piled into my mom's car when we got to the next gap all having to squeeze in. We drove back down the road to a park wayside. It was a little cafe and gift shop. I finally got to try the blackberry ice cream here that I've been hearing so much about. It was the only flavor they offered. I hear that it's blackberry everything in this area this time of year and blackberry is my favorite! It was so delicious. We all tried to dry off. I spent some time in the bathroom drying my clothes under the hand dryer. I ended up wringing out my socks in the cafeteria without thinking about it. I guess I really am hiker trash now because it didn't even occur to me that that wasn't something acceptable. I took some paper towels to clean it up after shocking my mom at my horrible manners and finished getting all the water out in the bathroom. I also got some gifts for Father's day in the gift shop and my mom and I got some fudge.

We all decided to drive back to Waynesboro, VA together after that. They all thought that they'd never come back to Waynesboro in their lives but here they are again! We got into some dry cloths at the hotel then headed over to panera bread for a quick dinner before going to see Wonder Woman in theaters. It was a good movie. On the way back we stopped by a place called Kline's Dairy Bar which offers house made ice cream. I got this delicious scoop of banana pudding ice cream in a waffle cone. It was a great way to end the day.

All of us crammed into the car. Blue is by my feet.

Today I got to mile 894.2 with 1295.6 left to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment