Friday, March 9, 2018

Maryland, June 28th

It was hard leaving Harpers Ferry, I didn't end up leaving until noon. We hiked the 16 miles to Rocky Run shelter. The terrain was pretty flat and easy but there were a lot of rocks the second half of the day and I started having second guesses on my new shoes. I still feel the rocks more than I would like to through them. They are better than what was left of my last pair but still not enough. I look forward to when my Hoka's come in the mail.


The trail crossed a giant bridge over the river right outside Harpers Ferry. It was beautiful. It was the same bridge that the train took when we rode over to DC so we were crossing over on a footpath next to the railroad tracks.





We had a long stretch, a few miles long that was along a creek covered in the thickest duck weed i've ever seen. There were an incredible amount of turtles in the water too. They were really fun to see as we were walking.




I made it to the state of Maryland! The 5th state on the trail. Unfortunately there wasn't an obvious sign for it. We passed many civil war remnants and memorials, signs that announce various battlefields and makers that state where those important had died.

Dirty Duck



Suddenly Maryland



The shelter was really nice and the bugs weren't bad so I stayed in it. The floors were finished and shiney too. The lightening bugs were so active and they even entered the shelter having an awesome light display as I was falling asleep.

Today at Rocky Run shelter I'm at mile 1039.1 with 1150.7 left to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment