Sunday, April 30, 2017

Clingmans Dome


My first time night hiking on the AT happened this morning. When hikers talk about night hiking they typically mean waking up early in the morning and leaving camp in the dark. I left at 6:30am. Sunrise happened around 7am. I wanted the early start to see the sunrise on the highest point on the entire Appalachian Trail, Clingmans Dome.

Before I left the argumentative guy that is giving everyone trouble came out of the shelter and started peeing 10 feet from where I was packing up my pack. Right in the living area of the camp site. It drove my crazy. I was speechless. I couldn't believe that someone would just do that. A couple came out of the shelter to get their bear bags, hung on cables near where he was peeing. They started him and he just sprayed everywhere in his panic. Yuck!

 It was chilly, windy, and moist on my hike today. I essentially walked into a cloud on my three mile hike up. I could see the wisps of cloud pass by in front of me. The wind was incredible. I could just hear it whipping the trees around.  When I got to the top, no sunrise... no sun. It was just a heavy fog. I did take some photos from the very top at the lookout tower.



The forrest reminded me a lot of the North woods up at these higher elevations. It was quite stunning at times.



I had my Dr. Bronners soap in my pocket and it managed to unscrew itself and pour into my pocket while i was hiking today sadly.

Today is Easter Sunday. Someone left little colorful jelly beans randomly on the trail. I found about 5 of them.



I originally planned on skipping Gatlinburg but while on the trail I changed my mind.  When I got into Newfound Gap I made plans with two hikers I kept running into Barrel and Milk Man to split a room for the night in town. The parking lot at this gap was just crowded. People everywhere! It's because it's easter Sunday and everyone wants to get away to visit the parks for the weekend. 

Me at Newfound Gap

Milk Man took a Selfie on my phone

Four people showed up to do trail magic here today! They were all competing to give us their food. One of the girls had ham and cheese sandwiches on Hawaiian rolls. I ate 3! I love those! I can't explain how much ice been craving sandwiches on this trail. Everytime I go backpacking there's always a food that I've been craving. 

TMI: I had been pinching in a stubborn turd  for hours waiting to get into Gatlinburg because I didn't want to stop to dig a hole. I decided to use the parking lot toilets and wow, I don't think I've ever pooped that much before! It was like a snake coming out of me. All one piece, it must have been at least 2 feet long coiled up in the toilet bowl. 

We got a ride into town from a girl who was doing some trail magic. Everyone keeps saying to not go to Gatlinburg because it's touristy and it's like being in downtown disney world but you know, I am a tourist. When am I ever going to go to Gatlinburg again?  It's a charming little town just as described. There's a trolly and a gondola going through town. We stopped at the NOC outpost store. I got a pair of lightweight airy caprees. My current pants are done for. There's a good sized hole in the crotch,  one thigh seam has a hole, the other the seam is coming loose, same goes for the butt area.  I also picked up a pair of new insoles for my shoes. They should be able to lift my heels up a bit more. I've been having horible ancle pain. I think that it's from the bone rubbing against my shoe. Hopefully this will help, it's quite painful.



For dinner we all went to the Texas Roadhouse and ate steaks! That was the highlight of the day! 



No comments:

Post a Comment