Friday, August 11, 2017

Best Day Ever, May 7th

Barefoot and I arranged a day of slackpacking. We were able to get a reservation for the night and ride back to Carvers Gap from Mountain Harbor. It had snowed again last night so there was still plenty of snow up in the mountains. It was just overall stunning up there. We both had to keep stopping to take pictures!


















We made our way down to the barn shelter where we had heard some amazing trail magic took place the night before from Papa Bean and Jelly Bean. In the log book they had written that they would return for lunch today! We waiting around and rested but eventually decided to hike on. While getting water halfway up the trail back to the AT I saw a hiker with a backpack on coming up from an access trail with a chef hat on. We turned around and went to check it out! It was absolutely amazing! Barefoot wrote about it in detail in the trek. Do read!

https://thetrek.co/appalachian-trail/no-one-could-believe-this-amazing-trail-magic/

Here are some of my photos from the event







The rest of our hike down was mostly down thankfully. We had 2 large balds which were very pretty. The snow had all melted by now plus the lower elevation didn't get any. It was quite windy though. It was fun hiking with Barefoot too. I've been hiking alone during the day for the past month+ so I really do enjoy hiking with others.










We were able to hitch into town with a girl named Giggles to get dinner. Not much was open. I got a subway sandwich and it was amazing after all of today's hiking. It didn't make me full but just stopped my hunger. It still surprises me how much of an appetite that I have.

Tonight at Mountain Harbour I am at mile 393.9 with 1796.1 left to go.

1 comment:

  1. Amazing pics a winter wonderland! Also what creative awesome trail magic! Really special. Love, mom and dad xoxo

    ReplyDelete