Saturday, August 19, 2017

Boyfriend on the Trail, May 14th

This morning I had another wonderful breakfast put on by the Dragonfly Inn. They have such great taste in dishes to offer.

Ken and I got shuttled up the trail to where I had left off with Barefoot when the tornado went through. The terrain was easy but I was just tired. The heat from the van took a lot out of me, I felt rather overheated.





I've decided that Ken's trail name is Boyfriend. I signed the log books as Mishap & Boyfriend. I thought that it would be cute! Today went a lot better and I'm really happy that I got to spend some more quality time with Ken.

I ran into GI Jane and Viking at the end of the day coming into Damascus. I'm glad that there are people that I know here. It's really rough trying to make friends here. It turns out Theory, Fury, Barefoot, Bags, and Tator arranged a shuttle 120 miles up the trail to hang out at a hostel and wait for Trail Days to comes around next week. It kinda hurt. It felt like I had just been ditched by them. I thought that I was part of the group. I don't think that I'll be seeing any of them around again since they are so far ahead. I'm still on the fence about going to Trail Days. I feel like I just want to push on and focus on getting to Maine.

Before Ken left we went to Old Mill for Dinner. We had hoped to go to Hey Joe's but they closed at 5pm. The food at Old Mill was just delicious! It was really nice that we could end our day there. The last time we got to spend time together, not including the brief visit from him during my layover on the way to Georgia, was last October when we biked the Virginia Creeper Trail together. We ended in Damascus and ate at right here at the Old Mill. It was really sad to see him go. I wish I could have more time with him.

The Woodchuck hostel is more of a house that someone put beds in every room of the house and by every room I mean the family room, the open space at the top of the stairs, as well as all the bedrooms. The owner, Woodchuck, lives in his garage. He also has bunks in a shed outside and a teepee that you could pay to sleep in. The place is very unique.

Today in Damascus I'm at mile 468.7 with 1721.1 left to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment