Thursday, August 24, 2017

Wild Ponies, May 16th

Today was more like Rockginia instead of Virginia. It was so brutal on my feet and knees. My knees would keep locking or twisting wrong. The rocks were jumbled and awkward as well as all the roots everywhere. I am just dead and beat up right now. At the same time today was AMAZING!

Viking and I got shuttled back to where we had left off on the trail. We continued on a steep incline that lasted for 4 miles. That was brutal. It was also very hot today with almost no clouds.

We passed through a cow pasture.




We went over Whitetop Mountain. My boyfriend, Ken, and I had driven to the top of whitetop last fall. I didn't realize that the trail went up whitetop. I remember seeing a trail but it turns out it was the AT! That was very exciting. Ken and I had also pulled over at Elk Garden to check out the trail, we saw a sign that said AT from the road. Now this time around I hiked out from the woods and onto the road!

One of the thru hikers packed a bag pipe with him.
















The trail led up through some amazing scenery the rest of the day. It went up and over Mount Rodgers, the highest mountain on the Appalachian Trail. There was a side trail that led to the sumit, it would have added an extra mile onto the day. I was just so beat so early in the day I decided not to go. I had absolutely stunning views as it was.

The trail then went into the Grayson Highlands State Park! I've been looking forward to this section for a long time because it's known for its wild ponies. There's multiple herds of wild domesticated ponies that found their way up into these mountains at some point. Before seeing any ponies we went through the Fat Mans Squeeze, a tight rock tunnel. That was very exciting.



Viking specifically doesn't like horses, he seems to dislike every animal we encounter. He wrote in every log book that we passed that he hates horses, or still hates horses. It's weird being around an animal hater when I'm an animal lover.

We encountered our first ponies! 2 adults and a baby.



Then a herd with 2 babies. I pet all of them! (Minus the babies)








We saw 2 more herds but they weren't near the trail.

We hit the 500 mile marker! I feel so accomplished at making it this far!


After getting into camp, the Wise Shelter, it's the only shelter within the State Park, we had a pony visitor! She was very friendly and went up to everyone. It was quite entertaining to have her around. She eventually wandered off but now, hours later, I'm still hearing horses not too far away. Tenting isn't allowed here, I was worried about getting a spot in the shelter but there was plenty of room! Many people decided to tent anyways, there's still room in here. After the pony coming through being very curious and rubbing on everything,  I understand why tenting isn't allowed. I bet it'll be an interesting night.






My jaw feels 100% back to normal finally!

Tonight at Wise sheltet I am at mile 502.5 with 1687.3 left to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment