Friday, September 1, 2017

Longhorns, May 17th

I didn't hear them but a herd of ponies were running around through the tents all night long keeping everyone up and making a bunch of noise. Viking had a particularly bad nights rest! HA! He went on without me wanting to get to the next road to hitch hike into Damascus. We learned that tent city opens on Thursday and they have a free dinner that night. Free meals every day too apparently. I'm really excited for trail days, I'm for sure going to go. I'm just going to work my way to Marion, VA first.

We had a mother and baby pony come visit us this morning! They were so adorable and I got to pet them both! It was so much fun having the horses in camp.






I made a wrong turn today and added at least a half mile extra to my day, maybe more?



The trail went through an area called the scales. It was actually quite beautiful. There were horses and longhorns in this area! I didn't go up to any of them or anything but they didn't seem to mind being around people!













As of yesterday I started to get this section of my back where the bottom of my pack rubs sore and painful. It's red and not very fun.


The flies and bees are starting to get really bad and annoying.

While taking a break I saw a mole pop up then run back under ground, very exciting! I even saw more salamanders. While digging a cat hole to poop in one crawled in right before I did my buisness. I'm glad that I caught him and got him out before it was too late. I've also been seeing a lot of garter snakes along the trail.





I never meant to hike 20 miles today but I did. I wasn't even planning on making it to my original destination for the night at 17.5 miles. I filled up my 3 liters of water and decided to camp at the next nice stealth site. I had passed so many amazing ones the last few days. They were everywhere, everywhere but here. I just kept walking and walking. All with that unnecessary extra 6 lbs of water. I didn't even see the turn off for the campsite I had planned on going to. The trails here weren't marked very well. I was hoping to have dinner before 7pm but it was getting late and all of my food was packed down deep in my pack. I kept pushing on until I started getting dizzy. My vision was getting blury and I was having trouble walking straight then I fell. I really really needed something to eat, I was just crawling along. I really wanted to just get to where I was going to camp because there was this occasional thunder. I pulled some food out of my pack, stuffed my face and continued on. I slowly felt better. It looked as though the sun had a red filter. The sun was setting but wow did it give everything an unnatural looking red glow, then orange, then gold. I wasn't actually sure if I was awake or not because of how exhausted I was.  I considered the idea that I could just be laying on the trail passed out where I had fallen. I kept having shelter mirages in the dark. I arrived around 9pm in the dark. It was a really rough day. I was luckily able to get a spot in the shelter so I didn't have to set up my tent.

Tonight at Trimpi Shelter I'm camped at mile 522.6 with 1667.2 left to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment