Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Mud Galore, May 27th


Mongo made coffee and custom protein drinks for each of us. I got a peanut butter cookies and cream, it was actually really good. Today's goal is to go 20 miles to the next hostel.




All of us ended up splitting up on the trail going our own paces. Dirty Duck and I ended up hiking together. We took a side trip over to Dismal Falls where Dungeon Master finally met up with us. Dirty Duck actually dived in to the river section and went swimming. Later on Dirty Duck went swimming in a creek and forgot to take his glasses off so he lost them. We spent some time searching for them without luck. Dungeon Master is also kinda blind because he ruined one of his contacts. I had my own mishaps today. I feel pretty hard in the mud and I also walked into a sharp branch and scrapped my arm.




We encountered a couple rat snakes.




We also took a break at the Wapiti shelter, famous for a few murders that took place here of hikers.


Dirty Duck


We took a break on our last stretch next to a hidden fawn. None of us even noticed it until it got up and took off. That was really awesome to see and have been so close to the little guy.

Catfish and Kevin were camped at the top of the hill that lead down to the hostel. The three of us had our reservations for the last option that they had available, the hut. It had just been opened because of a cancellation. It was like a little hobit hole, it was small and had one bed. Dungeon Master and I split the bed and Dirty Duck took the floor. The bed is so comfortable and soft and the sheets are just like mine from back home. It looks amazing.

They have homemade icecream for sale here. The milk is sourced from local farmers. I got a vanilla icecream with fudge bits and mini oreos in it. It was delicious!


I joked around with Mike at the beginning of this adventure about a 2 seater privy and I have finally find one!


Today we ended up going exactly 22 miles with all of our side trips included. My longest day yet. I feel quite worn out but nowhere near as bad as I had felt on my previous 20 miler days.

Today at Woods Hole Hostel I'm at mile 623.7 with 1566.1 left to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment